Ahmedabadis and Surtis are always at loggerhead trying to prove their superiority whether it is in terms of food or city life.
Baroda is the gentle city that lies exactly in between. Baroda has its own facts that will even bring to shame the amdavadis and surtis. Read on and be a proud BARODIAN.
1. The history of Baroda can be traced back to as early as 812 AD
2. Baroda has had amazing names like “Chandanvati”, “Ankottaka” – (Now called Akota),”Vatpatrak” (Banyan Tree), “Viravati” -(land of Warriors), “Virakshetra”, “Brodera”(Names given by British – mostly they could not pronounce Baroda ) then we had“Baroda” and in 1974 it was given the name “Vadodara”.
3. In 1907, a small village and township in Michigan, United States, was named after Baroda.
4. There was a diamond found in Baroda called “The Moon of Baroda” The Moon of Baroda weighed 25.95 carats (5.19 g) at the time it was found. A popular myth associated with the Moon of Baroda is that it brings bad luck to its owner if it is carried across the sea.
5. Vadodara also holds International Marathon every year. It became the first non-metro city of India to have held a Marathon of such a large scale and success.
Src – cornorpointindia
6. Baroda is Cricket savvy. More than 15 Recognized Indian Cricketers have played their childhood matches at Moti Baug. While Moti Baug is claimed to be one of the oldest cricket grounds of Asia.
Src – espn
7. Due to its rich cultural traditions, the district is referred to as Sanskari Nagari.